Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Joe Cortez: A Vision for a New Era of Public Safety Accountability

by Joe Cortez, Candidate for San Luis Obispo County Sheriff

Despite the continuing bad news about the economy and the challenges facing the sheriff's department I am extremely excited about the opportunity to serve as your sheriff. Why Because I have a proven track record of success during my 15 years as a chief of police of creating high performing organizations and turning around agencies suffering from a lack of public trust, poor morale, and rifts between management and line employees. I know I can get the job done and bring positive change quickly and decisively.

I believe the sheriff is the people's law enforcement representative. It is my intention to be visible and accessible in our communities, and most importantly, accountable to you. I also know the problems concerning the folks in Nipomo are much different than the needs of other communities such as Los Osos and Templeton. I want to provide a customized policing plan for each community based upon their stated needs. I will have community interest groups in place throughout the county so my staff and I can hear your concerns first hand and work with you for lasting change.

I am committed to putting you first and making sure we provide sufficient staffing in our patrol division to ensure we can get a deputy to you in a timely manner in your time of need during an emergency.

As your sheriff I will be dedicated to providing leadership that is trustworthy, respectful, ethical, unbiased and in-touch with these recessionary times. Beginning with the sheriff, all members of the organization will be held accountable to serve with honesty, integrity, respect, and professionalism.

I will run smart, tight budgets and ensure we live within our means. Just as I brought each one of the annual budgets I managed as a police chief in under budget, I pledge to do the same as your sheriff. I have a proven 15-year track record of success in finishing the year under budget, and returning over $1 million back to the cities' general funds as well. I will always be mindful of my role to be a good steward of the taxpayers' money.

Please join me in creating a new era of accountability and trust. Go to my website for more information about my platform and vision.

Chief Joe Cortez is a 30-year law enforcement veteran who has risen to the top ranks and served 15 years as a chief of police.

In 2007 Chief Cortez led the Pismo Beach Police Department to achievement of the prestigious national law enforcement accreditation. In doing so, Pismo Beach became just the 5th municipal police department in the state, and only department in our county, to earn such distinguished recognition.

Joe and his wife Kathy are both Viet Nam-era veterans and own a retail store in Pismo Beach. They have two sons, who have also followed their father's footsteps into law enforcement.

1 comment:

  1. In April 2009, I retired after 31-years with the Arroyo Grande Police Department and had the opportunity to work with Chief Cortez. I hope you'll join me in getting the word out and vote Joe Cortez our next SLO County Sheriff.

    John Allen, ret Sgt AGPD

    ReplyDelete